I like to use a medium body, but you can use any red wine that you like. Remember to cook with a wine that you would drink.
Vidalia Onion Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 6 Tablespoons Butter
- 6 Large Vidalia Onions (Cut Into Thick Slices)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Thinly Sliced)
- 4 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 3 Bay Leaves
- 3 Teaspoons Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/3 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/2 Cups Red Wine
- 8 Cups Beef Stock
- 16 Slices Crusty White Bread
- 1 Pound Cheddar Cheese (Shredded)
- In large-size Dutch oven melt butter over a medium-low heat. Add onions, garlic, thyme, bay leaves, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and pepper. Cover pot and cook 15 minutes until onions are fully wilted. Stir occasionally. Remove lid and cook, uncovered, another 10 minutes. Keep stirring occasionally. Sprinkle flour over onions and cook, stirring, 1 minute. Add wine and beef stock. Increase heat to medium and cook 15 more minutes. Add remaining kosher salt.
- While soup is cooking set oven rack 3 to 4 inches from broiler. Preheat broiler. Arrange bread slices on ungreased baking sheet and set under broiler 1 to 2 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and turn bread slices with tongs. Top with shredded cheese. Return to broiler and cook 1 to 2 minutes until cheese is melted and golden.
- Ladle soup into serving bowls and top each with cheese toast. Serve with extra toast on the side.
- Serve hot.
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 45 Minutes Total Time: 75 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 75 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Soups