Charring bell peppers over a flame before stewing them gives a smoky flavor to bigos, a Polish stew of chicken, bacon, and kielbasa.
Rustic Sausage & Sauerkraut Stew
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 2 Bell Peppers
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Pound Boneless & Skinless Chicken Thighs
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 5 Pieces Bacon (Diced)
- 1 Yellow Onion (Diced)
- 3 Cups Fresh Mushrooms Sliced (Button Or Chanterelle)
- 1 Fennel Bulb (Thinly Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Sliced Garlic
- 1 Leek (Thinly Sliced)
- 2 Tablespoons Paprika
- 1 1/2 Pounds Polish Kielbasa (Sliced 1/4 Inch Thick)
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- 1/3 Cup Chopped Fresh Dill
- 2 Cups Red Wine
- 4 Cups Chicken Stock
- 4 Cups Fresh Sauerkraut (With Juice)
- Preheat broiler.
- Place bell peppers on small-size baking sheet and roast under broiler or directly over a glass flame, turning frequently, for approximately 5 minutes until skins are blacked. Transfer to heatproof bowl. Cover tightly with plastic wrap. Let stand 10 minutes until peppers are cool enough to handle. Remove skins, stems, and seeds and throw away. Place in food processor or blend. Add tomatoes to process until smooth.
- Sprinkle chicken with kosher salt and pepper. In large-size Dutch oven melt butter over a medium-high heat. Add chicken and cook 4 minutes per side until browned. Remove and transfer to plate. Set aside.
- Add bacon to Dutch oven and cook for 2 minutes, stirring until bacon begins to render. Add onions and mushrooms. Cook 5 minutes until onions begin to turn golden. Stir in fennel, leeks, garlic, and paprika. Cook 2 minutes. Add kielbasa, dill, and parsley. Cook 4 minutes until sausage is heated through.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven. Add wine and bring to boil. Cook 5 minutes until liquid is reduced by half. Add pepper mixture and bring to simmer. Add chicken stock and sauerkraut. Stir to combine. Bring to simmer. Reduce heat and simmer gently 45 minutes until vegetables are tender and chicken shreds with fork.
- Remove from heat and serve warm.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 75 Minutes Total Time: 105 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved