Add an Irish flavor to a classic comfort soup.
Guinness French Onion Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 5 Tablespoons Butter (Divided)
- 8 Medium Onions (Sliced)
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Thyme
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 3 Cups Guinness Beer
- 3 Cups Beef Or Vegetable Broth
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Grainy Mustard
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Slices Toasted Bread
- 2 Cups Shredded White Cheddar Cheese
- In large-size Dutch oven or heavy pot melt 2 tablespoons butter over a medium heat. Add sliced onions, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook15 to 20 minutes until onions are caramelized. Deglaze pot with Guinness every 5 minutes. Add garlic, thyme, and remaining butter. Whisk in flour. Cook 5 minutes. Deglaze pot with more Guinness, broth, Worcestershire sauce, and grainy mustard. Simmer 30 minutes.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Top with toasted bread and cheese.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 80 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved