Serve up a bowl of comfort with this stew, which features tender beef, sweet carrots, and fiber-filled barley.
Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 2 Pound Top Round Beef Roast (Cut Into Chunks)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Divided)
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Large Carrots (Chopped)
- 1 Cup Sliced Mushrooms
- 1 1/2 Cups Water (Divided)
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Garlic
- 1 Tablespoon Dried Rosemary
- 1/2 Cup Tomato Paste
- 4 Cups Beef Broth
- 1 Cup Pearl Barley
- Trim any excess fat from beef and cut into chunks. Pat dry with paper towels and season all over with kosher salt and pepper.
- In 12-inch skillet heat 3 tablespoons olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add beef chunks to skillet and cook 3 minutes per side until browned on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker. Add remaining olive oil to skillet. Add onion and carrots. Cook 4 minutes. Stir often. Add 1/2 cup water to skillet. Stir and scrape any browned bits. Transfer to slow cooker, along with mushrooms, garlic, rosemary, tomato paste, beef broth, and barley. Add 1/2 cup water. Cover slow cooker and cook on low 4 hours.
- Uncover slow cooker and give stew a good stir. Cover and cook on low another 2 hours until barley and beef are tender. Stir in an additional 1/2 to 3/4 cup water to get desired consistency.
- Serve warm
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 360 Minutes (6 Hours 20 Minutes) Total Time: 380 Minutes (6 Hours 40 Minutes)
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved