Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Asian Beef Hot Pot, Asian Cooking, Asian Hot Pot, Beef, Carrots, Chinese New Year, Daikon Radishes, Dipping Sauce, Ginger, Green Onions, Greenwich Free Press, Hot Pot, Lunar New Year, Mushrooms, Napa Cabbage, Ponzu Sauce, Radishes, Scallions, Shitake Mushrooms, Victoria Hart Glavin, Water, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
If you’re celebrating the Lunar New Year (or even if you’re not) then make this Asian Beef Hot Pot. It’s not difficult to make and your family will enjoy a change of pace during these cold winter days.
- 1/2 Pound Thinly Sliced Beef
- 1/2 Whole Napa Cabbage (Chopped)
- 1 Bunch Green Onions (Sliced Diagonally)
- 4 Shitake Mushrooms (Sliced)
- 4 Carrots (Sliced)
- 7 Cups Water
- Dipping Sauce
- 1/2 Cup Ponzu Sauce
- 2 Tablespoons Grated Ginger
- 2 Finely Chopped Green Onions
- 1 Grated Daikon Radish
- Wash and chop napa cabbage. Slice green onions diagonally. Plate thinly sliced beef one by one, so it’s easy to pick up by chopsticks for cooking.
- Prepare dipping sauce by adding grated ginger, finely chopped green onions, and grated daikon radish to Ponzu sauce. If you need more dipping sauce then double the ingredients. Set aside.
- Add 7 cups water to large-size saucepot. Bring water to gentle simmer. Pick up beef by chopsticks and let swim in simmering water for a few seconds. Make sure not to over cook. Remove beef from water and transfer to plate. Set aside.
- Do not discard water that you cooked beef in. After cooking beef slices, add cabbage, green onions, mushrooms, and carrots to beef water. Cook for 8 minutes. If foam forms on surface skim it off with ladle.
- Add beef and cook with vegetables for 1 minute.
- Remove beef and vegetables and transfer to serving bowl. Keep water in pan.
- Add rice or noodles to broth and cook until done. Eat broth as soup. Dip beef and vegetables in Ponzu dipping sauce.
- Note: Feel free to use your favorite vegetables. This is a very flexible recipe.
- Serves 2
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen