A grunt is an old-fashioned berry dessert, probably dating from colonial times; it can be made with raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, strawberries, or huckleberries, and it deserves annual revival during berry season.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 15 ratings
- 3 Cups Berries (Raspberries, Blueberries, Blackberries, Strawberries, Huckleberries, Etc.)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Cup Sugar Plus 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 2 Tablespoons Butter (Melted)
- 1/2 Cup Milk Plus 2 Tablespoons Milk
- Add berries, 1/2 cup sugar, water, and lemon juice to large-size cast-iron skillet. Cook over a medium heat 15 minutes.
- In large-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, kosher salt, and 3 tablespoons sugar. Add butter and milk. Stir until moist dough forms.
- Spoon dollops of dough over berries. Cover skillet parchment paper and then with foil. Continue to cook over a medium heat for 20 minutes until dumplings are set and tops are dry.
- Remove from heat and serve hot with vanilla ice cream.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes Total Time: 55 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved