Have you every skipped over a recipe because it called for crystallized ginger? You can find it in most grocery stores, but I like to make my own. Sweet and spicy crystallized ginger add an excellent zip to most baked goods. I throw it in all sorts of things as well as using it to help calm an upset stomach. Make sure to use fresh ginger root that’s nice and firm. You may chop it any way you like; cubes, slices or strips work very well.
- 1 Cup Peeled & Sliced Ginger
- 2 Cups Sugar (Plus More For Coating)
- 2 Cups Water
- In small-size saucepan add water and sugar. Bring to boil. Add sliced ginger. Turn heat down to low and simmer 20 to 25 minutes. Remove from liquid and transfer to wire rack to cool. Let dry completely. Roll in extra sugar. Store in airtight container. Keeps for about 3 months.
- Makes about 1 1/2 cups
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Total Time: 55 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved