Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Fat Tuesday is fast approching and it’s time for Mardi Gras Gumbo! I like to keep it simple, so I’ve opted for just the essential Creole favorites of sausage, okra, rice and a bit of Cajun spice.
- 12 Ounces Hot Italian Sausage (Removed From Casings)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (Diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Cajun Spice
- 2 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 4 Cups Chopped Tomatoes
- 4 Cups Chicken Broth
- 2 1/2 Cups Frozen Okra (Chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Cooked Rice
- In Dutch oven over a medium-high heat cook sausage for 6 minutes, breaking sausage up into small pieces with wooden spoon. You will want sausage to be cooked through.. Transfer to plate lined with paper towels to drain grease.
- Add olive oil to Dutch oven. Keep heat at medium-high. Add onions and cook 3 minutes. Stir often. Add garlic and Cajun seasoning. Cook 1 minute until fragrant. Stir often. Add flour and cook 1 minute. Stir to coat onions. Add tomatoes and cook 3 minutes until tomatoes begin to release their juices. Stir in chicken broth. Cover with lid and turn heat to high. Bring to a boil.
- Add cooked sausage, okra, and rice to Dutch oven. Reduce heat to low. Cook 15 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 6
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen