- 1 pound sweet Italian sausage
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 2 medium-large onions, chopped fine
- 1 1/2 pounds fennel bulbs stalks chopped fine
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, chopped fine
- 1/4 cup Calvados (Apple Brandy from Normandy)
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme, crumbled
- 2 teaspoons dried tarragon, crumbled
- 5 cups corn bread for stuffing
In a 10- to 12-inch heavy skillet cook sausage over moderately high heat, stirring and breaking up lumps with a fork, until no longer pink. Transfer sausage to a large bowl.
Add butter to fat remaining in skillet and cook onions, chopped fennel, fennel seeds, and salt to taste over moderate heat, stirring, until fennel is softened, about 10 minutes. Add Calvados, thyme, and tarragon and cook, stirring, until most liquid is evaporated. Add mixture to sausage with corn bread to combine well. Season stuffing with salt and pepper and cool completely. Stuffing may be made 2 days ahead and chilled, covered.
Makes about a 10 cups, enough to stuff a 12- to 14-pound turkey with extra to bake on the side