Growing up we called this dish New England Boiled dinner. Honestly, I don’t know why I don’t make it more often. This year St. Patrick’s Day falls on the weekend and I’d rather not spend all day cooking, which means I’ll be cooking corned beef & cabbage in the slow cooker.
Slow Cooker Corned Beef & Cabbage
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 4 Pounds Corned Beef Brisket (With Seasoning Packet)
- 1 Large Garlic Clove (Thinly Sliced)
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 3 Medium Celery Stalks (Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Large Onion (Cut Into Wedges)
- 6 Red Potatoes (Unpeeled)
- 3 Large Carrots (Cut Into 2 Inch Pieces)
- 6 Cups Water
- 1 Cabbage (Wedged)
- If your corned beef doesn’t come with a seasoning packet then make your own mixture. Combine 1 teaspoon cloves, 1 teaspoon black peppercorns, 1/2 teaspoon rosemary, 1 teaspoon coriander seeds, 1 teaspoon mustard seeds, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 teaspoon thyme, 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes.
- Rinse corned beef brisket and pat dry.
- Place brisket into bottom of slow cooker and season both sides of brisket with seasoning packet. Place celery, garlic, bay leaf, onion, potatoes, and carrots over top of brisket. Add water until brisket is almost covered.
- Cover and cook on high 4 to 5 hours (8 1/2 hours on low)
- Remove lid and place cabbage over top of brisket and vegetables. Replace lid and cook another 45 minutes on high (1 1/2 hours on low).
- Remove brisket and vegetables. Slice brisket and transfer to serving platter. Serve with cooked vegetables, grainy mustard, and horseradish.
- Leftovers make wonderful next morning hash for breakfast.
- Serves 6 to 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 345 Minutes Total Time: 365 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved