Butternut squash season starts in early autumn. Look for very firm and heavy squash with fresh looking stems. The skin should be smooth and unblemished. Size doesn’t make a difference in flavor, but squash with long necks are generally easier to peel and break down.
Squash, Ginger, Coconut Muffins
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 1 Large Butternut Squash (Peel & Quarter)
- 2 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 10 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Melted)
- 2/3 Cup Buttermilk
- 2/3 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 2 Teaspoons Grated Peeled Ginger
- 2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3/4 Cup Unsweetened Shredded Coconut
- 3/4 Cup Slivered Almonds
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a standard 12 cup muffin pan. Set aside.
- With large holes of a box grater grate 2 cups of butternut squash.
- In large-size bowl whisk eggs, melted butter, buttermilk, brown sugar, and gated ginger.
- In separate large-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, and kosher salt.
- Add egg mixture to flour mixture. Stir to combine. Add grated squash, coconut, and almonds. Stir to combine.
- Scoop batter into prepared muffin pan.
- Place in oven 30 to 32 minutes until a tester inserted into centers comes out clean. Rotate pan at 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan 5 minutes.
- Turn out onto wire rack to let cool completely.
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 32 Minutes Total Time: 52 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved