Lemon, Garlic & Herb Rubbed Whole Chicken is foolproof and delicious. Plus, it’s versatile enough for a weeknight dinner or weekend dinner party.
Lemon, Garlic & Herb Rubbed Whole Chicken
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter (Softened)
- 5 Garlic Cloves (Mince 1 Clove)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Minced Rosemary
- 2 Rosemary Sprigs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Minced Thyme
- 2 Thyme Sprigs
- 1/2 Teaspoon Finely Grated Lemon Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Sumac
- One 4 Pound Chicken (Room Temperature)
- 1 Large Onion (Cut Into Wedges)
- 1 Lemon (Cut Crosswise Into 8 Rounds)
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- Position oven rack in lower third of oven.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- In small-size bowl combine butter, minced garlic, minced herbs, sumac, lemon zest, kosher salt, and pepper.
- Pat chicken dry. Rub half of herb butter under skin. Rub the rest over the entire chicken.
- Place chicken, breast side up on a rack in a roasting pan. Scatter onion, lemon, garlic cloves, herb sprigs, and 1/2 cup water. Place in oven and roast for 30 minutes until breast is firm and just beginning to brown in spots. Using tongs, turn chicken breast down and roast 20 minutes longer until skin is lightly browned.
- Using tongs, turn chicken breast side up. Add another 1/2 cup water. Roast 20 minutes longer until instant-read thermometer inserted in inner thigh registers 175 to 180 degrees.
- Remove from oven. Tilt chicken to drain cavity juices into pan. Transfer chicken to cutting board. Remove rack from pan and spoon off fat. Set pan over a high heat. Add chicken stock and cook, scraping any browned bits. Press lemon to release juices. Carve chicken and serve with chunky jus.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 70 Minutes Total Time: 90 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved