Cayenne won’t shout hot and spicy, but will instead add a welcome warmth to the fruit filling. A mix of dark sweet and tart cherries strikes the right balance of sweet and sour.
Apple Cherry Pie
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Makes 1 Pie
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 2 Cups Frozen Pitted Tart Cherries
- 2 Cups Frozen Pitted Dark Sweet Cherries
- 1 Double Crust
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 3 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne Pepper
- 4 Cups Peeled &Thinly Sliced Baking Apples
- Thaw cherries overnight in refrigerator. Drain cherries, reserving 1/4 cup juice.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Prepare pastry for crust. On lightly floured surface roll half of the pastry into circle. Place into 9-inch pie plate. Roll remaining pastry into a circle. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl combine sugar, cornstarch, and cayenne. Add apples, cherries, and reserved cherry juice. Gently toss to coat. Fill pastry with fruit mixture.
- Place remaining pastry on top of fruit. Crimp edges. Cut several slits in pastry. Brush with milk and sprinkle with sugar.
- Place a baking sheet lined with foil below pie in oven. Place in oven and bake uncovered 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 375 degrees. Bake 80 minutes to 90 minutes more until filling is bubbly in center and pastry is golden. If necessary, tent with foil to prevent overbrowning.
- Remove from oven. Cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
- Makes 1 Pie
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 105 Minutes Total Time: 135 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved
- Servings : 8
- Ready in : 135 Minutes
- Recipe Type : Pies