This moist and tender vanilla cake, with its layers of rich frosting is the perfect celebration centerpiece for every occasion, from birthdays to showers to Sundays.
Classic Birthday Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Makes 1 Two Layer Cake
- (5 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 2 cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 4 Large Eggs (Room Temperature)
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/8 Teaspoon Almond Extract
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 4 Tablespoons Butter (Cut Into Pats)
- 1/3 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 4 Cups Powdered Sugar (Sifted)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Milk (More If Needed For Desired Consistency)
- 2 Tablespoons Vanilla Extract
- **1 1/4 Cups Natural Cocoa Powder If You Want Chocolate Frosting
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees with rack in center.
- Lightly grease two 8x2 inch or 9x2 inch round cake pans. Line bottom of pans with parchment paper. Grease parchment. Set aside.
- In small-size bowl beat eggs, sugar vanilla, and almond extract until thickened and light gold in color. Batter should fall in thick ribbons from beaters.
- Add dry ingredients to mixture in bowl and mix just enough to combine. Scrape bottom and sides of bowl.
- n saucepan set over a medium heat bring milk just to a simmer. Remove pan from heat and add butter and oil, stirring until butter has melted.
- Slowly mix hot milk-butter-oil mixture into batter. Stir until everything is well combined. Scrape bowl and mix briefly just until smooth.
- Evenly divide batter between pans.
- Place in oven 26 to 30 minutes for 9 inch pans or 38 to 42 minutes for 8 inch pans. Remove cakes from oven. Carefully loosen edges and allow to cool for 15 minutes in pans. Transfer cakes to rack to cool to room temperature.
- To make frosting: In large-size bowl stir together 1 cup powdered sugar and kosher salt (and cocoa powder if you’re making chocolate frosting). Stir in milk and vanilla. Add butter and remaining powdered sugar. Stir to combine. Using electric mixer beat frosting at medium-high for two minutes until fluffy. Add tiny amounts of more milk if you need to.
- To assemble cake: Place one cake layer on a serving plate. Tuck strips of waxed or parchment paper underneath edge of cake to keep late clean. Spread bottom layer with about 1 cup frosting. Center second layer, bottom side up over frosted layer and press gently to set in place. Place cake in refrigerator or freezer, uncovered, for 30 minutes or up to 2 hours, to firm up. If you’re pressed for time, skip this step. Remove from refrigerator or freezer and spread very thin layer of frosting around sides and across top, this is called a crumb coat. You should be able to see cake through the frosting in spots, it’s that thin. Place back in refrigerator for 20 minutes to let crumb coat set. Again, skip this step if time is a factor. Once cake is chilled, use remaining frosting to coat thoroughly and evenly. If you have leftover frosting use it to pipe decorations on top and/or around base. Decorate if desired.
- Makes 1 Two Layer Cake
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes Cook Time: 42 Minutes Chill Time: 50 Minutes Total Time: 132 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved