Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Unlike typical egg rolls with their mishmash of filling, these keep the ingredients more distinct, similar to spring or summer rolls. Pan frying leaves them crisp without the mess of deep frying.
- 1/4 Cup Sweet Chili Sauce (Divided)
- 12 Ounces Fresh Bean Sprouts (Chopped)
- 12 Egg Roll Wrappers (8 Inches Each)
- 12 Cooked Jumbo Shrimp (Peeled, Deveined, Split In Half Lengthwise)
- 6 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro
- 1/4 Cup Peanut Oil
- 1 Tablespoon Rice Vinegar
- 2 Teaspoons Soy Sauce
- 1/4 Teaspoon Grated Peeled Fresh Ginger
- 1/8 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- In a medium-size bowl combine 3 tablespoons chili sauce and chopped bean sprouts. Tossing well to coat.
- Working with 1 egg roll wrapper at a time, place wrapper on work surface with 1 corner pointing toward you (wrapper should look like a diamond). Cover remaining wrappers to prevent drying. Spoon 2 heaping tablespoons bean sprout mixture into center of rapper. Top with 2 shrimp halves and 1 1/2 teaspoons chopped cilantro. Fold lower corner of wrapper over filling and fold in side corners. Moisten top corner of wrapper with water, and roll up, jelly-roll fashion. Place egg roll, seam side down, on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining wrappers, bean sprout mixture, shrimp, and chopped cilantro.
- Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in a large-size nonstick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add 6 egg rolls, seam sides down. Cook 7 minutes until golden. Turn occasionally. Remove and place on wire rack. Repeat procedure with 2 tablespoons peanut oil and 6 egg rolls.
- Combine remaining chili sauce, rice vinegar, soy sauce, grated ginger, and pepper in a small-size bowl. Serve sauce with egg rolls.
- Makes 12 egg rolls.
- © Victoria Hart Glavin