Delicious Beer Cheese Soup is perfect for cold weather lunches and dinners. If you want to make this a vegetarian soup then leave out the sausage and use vegetable stock instead of chicken stock.
Beer Cheese Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 24 ratings
- 1 Cup Diced Carrots
- 1 Cup Diced Potatoes
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 2 Cups Chicken Stock
- 4 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Diced Sweet Italian Sausage
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 12 Ounces Beer
- 1 1/2 Cups Light Cream Or Half & Half
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Teaspoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 4 Cups Shredded Extra Sharp Cheddar Cheese
- In medium-size saucepan add carrots, potatoes, and chicken stock. Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat, uncover and let cool a bit. Transfer to food processor. Pulse to a purée and set aside.
- In large-size soup pot melt unsalted butter over a medium heat. Add onions and cook 5 minutes. Add sausage and garlic. Cook 1 minute. Add unbleached flour and cook 1 minute more. Add beer and light cream. Cook 4 minutes. Stir with each addition. Add puréed vegetable mixture, Dijon mustard, Worcestershire sauce, and kosher salt. Add shredded cheese in stages, stirring between additions. Add more as it melts. Add freshly ground pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Be careful not to boil. Remove from heat and serve.
- Serve Warm
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 29 Minutes Total Time: 59 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved