Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 4
Tags: Almonds, Apricots, Blueberries, Breakfast, Canola Oil, Cherries, Cinnamon, Coconuts, Cranberries, Currants, Dates Apples, Granola, hazelnuts, Homemade Granola, Honey, Lavender Honey, Mangos, Maple Syrup, Oat Bran, Oats, Orange Blossom Honey, Peanuts, Pears, Pineapple, Pumpkin Seeds, Raisins, Sesame Seeds, Sunflower Seeds, Walnuts, Wheat Flakes, Wheat Germ
Any of these ingredients may be added to the granola in equal quantities: Chopped dried dates, apples, pineapple, apricots, pears, mangos, raisins, dried cranberries, cherries, blueberries, chopped almonds, hazelnuts, peanuts, sunflower seeds, wheat flakes, or oat bran. You also might want to try using different honeys like lavender or orange blossom. Or you may want to use maple syrup instead of honey. When trying out new additions make sure to keep a good proportion of crunchy ingredients in the final mixture.
- 2 Cups Old Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 1/2 Cup Wheat Germ
- 1/4 Cup Coarsely Chopped Walnuts
- 1/4 Cup White Sesame Seeds
- 1/4 Cup Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- 1/4 Cup Raw Hulled Green Pumpkin Seeds
- 2 Tablespoons Canola Oil
- 3 Tablespoons Honey
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/4 Cup Dried Currants
- Line large-size, rimmed, baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Preheat broiler.
- In large-size bowl combine rolled oats, wheat germ, walnuts, sesame seeds, coconut, and pumpkin seeds. Spread mixture in even layer on prepared baking sheet. Place in oven on lowest rack for 2 to 3 minutes. Keep oven door ajar and shake pan every 30 seconds. You will want mixture to be crisp and golden and not charred. Remove from oven and transfer to large-size plate to cool. After cooling transfer to large-size bowl.
- In small-size saucepan, over a low heat, combine canola oil, honey, and cinnamon. Heat for 2 minutes until nice and warm. Remove from heat and add half of the honey mixture to granola. Toss thoroughly to combine. Add remaining honey mixture and toss thoroughly. You want the granola to clump slightly, but not be soupy. Stir in currants.
- Store granola in airtight container for up to 1 week.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 5 Minutes Total Time: 25 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved