Kofta is a Turkish preparation of ground meat, usually lamb, mixed with herbs and spices, rolled into log form or little balls, and then grilled or fried. You can shape the kofta one day ahead and keep them covered in the refrigerator.
Lamb Kofta & Yogurt Sauce
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 14 ratings
- Yogurt Sauce:
- 3/4 Cup Plain Greek Yogurt
- 1/3 Cup Finely Diced Cucumber
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Chopped Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 Tablespoons Fresh Lemon Juice
- 1 1/4 Pounds Ground Lamb
- 1 Medium Onion Coarsely Grated
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 1 1/4 Teaspoons Kosher Salt
- 3 Large Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Grapeseed Or Olive Oil
- In medium-size bowl combine yogurt, cucumber, mint, and lemon juice. Cover with plastic wrap and place in refrigerator until ready to serve.
- Soak 8 bamboo skewers in water for at least 30 minutes or use metal skewers.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over a medium-high heat (400 to 500 degrees).
- In large-size bowl combine ground lamb, onions, cumin, kosher salt, garlic, and pepper. Wet your hands with water and shape lamb mixture around skewers. Lightly brush with grapeseed or olive oil.
- ** If you don’t have a grill you may cook them in a grill pan over a medium-high heat for about 6 minutes.
- Place kofta over direct medium-high heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, for about 6 minutes until they are nicely charred on the outside and the centers are still slightly pink, turning once or twice.
- Remove from grill and serve warm with yogurt sauce and flatbread.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 6 Minutes Total Time: 26 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved