Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
[Total: Average: /5]
Many people like to eat turnip tops (turnip greens). Make sure the greens on the end of turnips are fresh and free from decay. Tip: Turnip tops can be a bit bitter.
- 11 Ounces Orecchiette (Fresh or Dried)
- 2 Pounds Turnip Tops
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Finely Sliced)
- 3 Sardine Fillets (In Olive Oil) - Chopped
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Tablespoon Pasta’s Cooking Water
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Remove tougher parts of turnip tops. Keep only tips and most tender leaves.
- Rinse well in cold water. Drain and set aside.
- Cook orecchiette al dente in pot with a lot of salted boiling water.
- Add turnip tops 5 minutes before draining pasta.
- Heat olive oil in large-size heavy saucepan.
- Sauté garlic over medium heat until slightly golden.
- Add chopped sardine fillets and mix until they almost dissolve.
- Add 2 tablespoons pasta cooking water.
- Drain pasta and turnip tops. Combine pasta and turnip tops with sardine sauce. Add kosher salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Remove from pan and transfer to serving platter. Finish with remaining olive oil and serve warm.
- © Victoria Hart Glavin