Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Categories: Comfort Food, Cooking Light, Dinner, Game Day, Lunch, Main Courses, Pasta, Side Dishes, Summer Fun, The Lazy Way To Cook, Vegetarian
Yields or Serves:
Spaghetti With Garlic & Oil
This classic combination of garlic and oil gives this simple pasta its heady flavor. Serve with lots of freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino-Romano cheese.
16 Ounces Spaghetti
¼ Cup Olive Oil
1 Large Finely Chopped Garlic Clove
1/8 Teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper (Optional)
¾ Teaspoon Salt
¼ Teaspoon Course Ground Pepper
2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Parsley
In a large stockpot, cook pasta. Do NOT overcook. Drain, but do NOT rinse. Reserve ½ cup cooking water. Meanwhile in a 1 quart saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add garlic and cook just until golden, about 1 minute. Add crushed red pepper and cook 30 seconds longer. Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in salt and pepper. In a warm serving bowl, toss pasta with sauce and parsley. Use the cooking water to moisten the pasta if necessary. Serves 6
Easy Add-Ins For Garlic & Oil Sauce
Spaghetti With Garlic & Oil is just the starting point for many delicious possibilities.
- Add 4 to 6 coarsely chopped anchovy filets in oil, drained (or 1 to 1 ½ teaspoon anchovy paste), and 2 tablespoons capers, drained to cooked garlic-oil mixture. Reduce heat and stir until anchovies & break up. Cook for about 30 seconds.
- Add ½ cup Gaeta, Kalamata or green Sicilian olives, pitted and chopped to cooked garlic-oil mixture. Reduce heat and stir until olives are heated through. Cook for about 1 minute.
- Add 2 to 3 ounces crumbled & firm goat cheese to tossed pasta. Toss again.
- Add 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes to pasta with garlic-oil mixture and parsley. Toss.
- Substitute 2 to 4 tablespoons chopped fresh basil, oregano, chives or tarragon for parsley.