Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Albacore Tuna, Aleppo Chili Peppers, Eggs, Garbanzo Beans, Hard Boiled Eggs, Laurinda Silva’s Portuguese Potato Salad With Tuna, Oil, Olive Oil, Olives, Onion, Parsley, Portuguese Potato Salad With Tuna, Potato Salad With Tuna, Potatoes, Red Wine Vinegar, Salt, Sea Salt, Tuna, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vinegar, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com, Yukon Gold Potatoes
Let me just say right off the bat that my very best friend in the entire world, Laurinda Silva, is Portuguese. Recently, someone asked me for the recipe for Portuguese Potato Salad With Tuna and I was fortunate to go directly to the source. Both Laurinda’s parents were from Portugal. She grew up speaking Portuguese and lived in Artesia, California until her family moved to Washington State to open a dairy farm. There is a funny story about how Laurinda’s father came to America. Apparently, he was a merchant marine and was docked in the U.S. on one of his trips. He left the boat and never returned. When someone accused him of “jumping ship,” he said, “I don’t know why people say I jumped ship. I just walked off.” Anyway, here is Laurinda’s family Portuguese Potato Salad With Tuna recipe. She was more than happy to share it with me and, in turn, I am more than happy to share it with you.
- 6 Medium Yukon Gold Potatoes (Cooked & Diced)
- 2 Cans – 15 Ounces Each Garbanzo Beans (Drained)
- 4 Hard Boiled Eggs (Chopped or Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Black or Green Olives or Mixed (Sliced In Half)
- 1/3 Cup Parsley (Chopped)
- 1 Small Onion (Chopped)
- 4 Tablespoons Red Wine Vinegar
- 2 Cans Albacore Tuna In Water (Drained)
- 4 Tablespoons Olive Oil (Add More if needed)
- 1 Teaspoon Sea Salt
- Cook potatoes in large-size pot of boiling salted water for about 30 minutes until tender. Remove from heat, drain and cool. Peel potatoes and rough dice.
- Cook eggs in small-size pot of boiling salted water for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, drain, and cool. Peel and chop or slice.
- Drain tuna and garbanzo beans.
- In a large-size bowl combine potatoes, garbanzo beans, eggs, olives, parsley, onions, tuna, vinegar, olive oil, and sea salt. Gently mix together. Add more olive oil if needed.
- Serve at room temperature or chill until serving time.
- Serves 4 to 6
- © Victoria Hart Glavin