These Lemon Cream Scones are delicate, fragrant, and delicious. For light, fluffy scones make sure to avoid kneading the dough too many times. A gentle touch is your best bet.
Lemon Cream Scones
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 8 Scones
- (5 /5)
- 16 ratings
- Lemon Glaze
- 1 1/2 Cups Powdered Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Honey
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- 1/8 Teaspoon Lemon Extract
- 2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- Zest Of 1 Lemon
- 3 Tablespoons Cold Unsalted Butter (Cut Into 1/4 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Egg Yolk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream (Plus A Bit More For Tops)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- Place oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line large-size baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Lemon Glaze: Sift powdered sugar into large-size bowl. Add honey and 1 tablespoon milk. Stir until smooth. Add lemon extract and stir to blend. Add additional milk, 1/2 teaspoon at a time. Whisk until glaze is runny, but still thick. Set aside.
- Scones: In large-size bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, kosher salt, and lemon zest. Whisk to mix. Add butter. Using fingers or pastry blender cut butter into mixture. Stir until dough pulls together. Set aside to rest 5 minutes
- In small-size bowl combine egg yolk, cream, and vanilla. Stir to blend. Make a well in flour mixture. Pour egg mixture into well and stir until dough pulls together. Set aside to rest another 5 minutes.
- Transfer dough onto lightly floured work surface. Gently knead dough, with lightly floured hands, 4 times. Dough should be soft, but manageable. Shape dough into ball and then flatten into about a 3/4 inch disk. Cut disk into 8 equal wedges. Place wedges, evenly spaced, on prepared baking sheet. Lightly brush tops with extra cream. Place on middle rack in oven 15 to 18 minutes until golden. Remove from oven and transfer to cooling rack.
- When scones are just barely warm place them on sheet of wax paper. Generously drizzle them with lemon glaze.
- Make 8 Scones
- Prep Time: 40 Minutes Cook Time: 18 Minutes Total Time: 58 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved