Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
Nana’s Apple Cake has quite the following. The incredibly moist texture has to be the reason for its popularity. It’s perfect as a breakfast cake and, with a light dusting of powdered sugar, doubles as a dessert.
- 4 Granny Smith Apples (Peeled, Cored & Chopped Into Chunks)
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 6 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 3/4 Cups Unbleached Flour (Sifted)
- 1 Tablespoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cups Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Orange Juice
- 1 Tablespoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 Teaspoons Orange Zest
- 4 Eggs
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease an angel food cake pan. In a medium-size bowl add apple chunks. Toss apple chunks with cinnamon and 6 tablespoons sugar. Set aside.
- In a large-size bowl combine sifted flour, baking powder, and kosher salt. In a medium-size bowl whisk together oil, orange juice, orange zest, sugar, and vanilla. Add wet ingredients into dry ingredients. Stir to combine
- Add eggs one at a time. Incorporate eggs into mixture, but don’t overmix. Add 3/4 of apples and mix into batter. Pour into prepared pan. Sprinkle remainder of apples on top of batter.
- Place in oven. Bake for 1 1/2 hours until done. Remember that every oven heats differently so check at 1 hour and 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven. Let cool in pan before removing.
- Makes 1 cake. Serves 8.
- © Victoria Hart Glavin