You probably have most of the ingredients for this luscious tomato-packed sauce in your kitchen right now.
Penne With Easy Vodka Sauce
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 5 Garlic Cloves (Smashed)
- 4 1/2 Ounces Tomato Paste
- 1/2 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 2 Ounces Vodka
- 1/4 Cup Boiling Water
- 3/4 Cup Heavy Cream
- 1 Pound Penne
- 4 Ounces Parmesan Cheese (Finely Grated)
- Bring large-size pot of salted water to a boil.
- In large-size heavy pot heat olive oil over a medium heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 5 minutes until onion is just beginning to brown. Stir constantly. Add tomato paste and red pepper flakes. Stir to coat onion. Cook 5 to 7 minutes, stirring often, until paste is deep red and starting to brown and stick to the bottom of pot. Add vodka, scraping up brown bits, then turn heat down to low.
- Using a heatproof measuring cup scoop out about 1/4 cup boiling water from pot. Add the heavy cream to the measuring cup with the boiling water. Warming up the cream with a bit of hot water ensures that the dairy won’t break when it hits the hot pot. Stirring constantly, gradually pour cream mixture into onion mixture and cook, stirring, until a smooth sauce forms. Remove from heat.
- Cook pasta in the pot of boiling water. Stir occasionally until al dente. About 1 minute before pasta is done, scoop out 1 cup pasta cooking liquid.
- Return heavy pot of sauce to a low heat. Using a slotted spoon transfer pasta to heavy pot. Stir in 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid. Gradually add half of Parmesan cheese, stirring constantly to melt. Add more pasta cooking liquid if sauce is too thick.
- Divide pasta among bowls. Top with remaining Parmesan.
- Serve Immediately
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 20 Minutes Total Time: 40 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved