Farmers’ markets are bursting with spring rhubarb. Pick some up and make this much-loved Rhubarb Upside Down Cake.
Rhubarb Upside Down Cake
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- Makes 1 Cake
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 3 Cups Sliced Rhubarb
- 1 3/4 Cups Sugar (Divided)
- 1 1/2 Cups Plus 2 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour (Divided)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter (Divided)
- 2 Large Eggs
- 2 Teaspoons Baking Powder
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2/3 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 4 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease 10-inch oven proof skillet. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl combine rhubarb, 1 cup sugar, 2 tablespoons flour, and 1/4 cup melted butter. Transfer to prepared skillet.
- In large-size bowl beat 1/4 cup melted butter, 3/4 cup sugar, vanilla, lemon zest, and eggs until well combined.
- In medium-size bowl combine flour, baking powder, nutmeg, and kosher salt.
- Gradually add dry mixture to wet mixture alternating with milk. Mix until combined.
- Spoon batter over rhubarb mixture.
- Place in oven for 35 minutes until cake is lightly browned and wooden pick inserted in center of cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven. With butter knife immediately loosen edges. Carefully invert onto serving plate.
- Serve warm
- Makes 1 Cake
- Serves 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes Total Time: 55 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved