Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Allspice, Baking Powder, Cayenne, Cayenne Pepper, Cilantro, Coriander, Cumin, Dried Fava Beans, Falafel, Fava Beans, Garlic, Greek Cooking, Greenwich Free Press, Middle Eastern Cooking, Onions, Parsley, Spicy Falafel, Sunflower Oil, Vegan, Vegetarian, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
I don’t recall the exact time that I first had falafel, but I do remember biting into something so delicious and crispy that I had never experienced before. These little gems are so addictive and are great served with hummus or tzatziki or a refreshing salad.
- 8 Ounces Dried & Skinless Fava Beans (Soaked Overnight)
- 1 Large Onion (Coarsely Chopped)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Crushed)
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Cumin
- 1 Tablespoon Ground Coriander
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 1/4 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 2 1/2 Cups Fresh Parsley
- Small Bunch Fresh Cilantro
- Sunflower Oil (For Deep Frying)
- Soak dried fava beans overnight in cold water.
- When ready to make drain and rinse soaked fava beans. Put favas in food processor along with onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, allspice, cayenne, and baking powder. Process to just about a smooth paste so it’s a bit grainy.
- Add parsley and cilantro and process briefly. The parsley and cilantro should be coarsely chopped. Empty into a large-size bowl and let sit on the counter for 1 hour.
- Take 1 tablespoon of mixture and shape it into round-flat shape that is about 2 inches in diameter. Continue shaping until all mixture has been used.
- Just before serving, heat 1 inch depth of sunflower oil in large-size nonstick skillet. Add single layer of falafels and fry until golden and crisp on one side, then turn over to crisp on other side.
- Remove with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat until all falafels have been fried.
- Transfer to serving platter and serve hot or at room temperature.
- Makes 20
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen All Rights Reserved