Yields or Serves:
I’ve spent time in Indonesia over the past 25 years where I have taken cooking classes and have learned to prepare wonderful dishes. Rice colored with turmeric is common during festive occasions in Indonesian countries. You certainly don’t need to have a special occasion to make this delicious rice.
- 2 Teaspoons Ground Turmeric or 2 Inch Piece Fresh Turmeric (Peeled & Sliced)
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Basmati Rice (Washed & Drained)
- 1 1/2 Cups Coconut Milk
- 1/2 Cup Chicken Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf or 1 Salam or Pandanus Leaf
- 1 Stalk Lemongrass – Bruise Inner Part With Heavy Knife (Use Thick Bottom Third Only And Throw Away Outer Layers)
- 1 Inch Piece Fresh Galangal (Peeled & Sliced) or Fresh Ginger
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin ©Tiny New York Kitchen
- Dissolve ground turmeric in 2 tablespoons of water. If using fresh turmeric then grind turmeric and water until fine. Stain through sieve to extract all juice. Throw away solids.
- Combine rice, turmeric mixture, coconut milk, water, chicken stock, bay leaf, lemongrass, galangal, and kosher salt in a pot. Bring to boil over a high heat. Reduce heat to medium and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes until liquid is absorbed. Reduce heat to low and cook 10 more minutes until rice is dry and fluffy.
- Remove from heat and mix well.
- Throw away bay leaf, lemongrass, and galangal.
- Transfer to serving bowl and serve warm.
- Serves 4