Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
This rugelach is made with a tender cream cheese dough that gives it that traditional taste and texture.
- 1 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 8 Ounces Cream Cheese (Softened)
- 3/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 Cup Walnuts (Chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Dried Apricots (Chopped)
- 1/3 Cup Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 Teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Cup Seedless Raspberry Jam
- 1 Tablespoon Milk
- In large-size bowl beat butter and cream cheese together until creamy. Beat in 1/4 cup sugar, vanilla, and kosher salt. Beat in 1 cup flour. Stir in remaining 1 cup flour just until blended. Divide dough into 4 equal disks. Wrap each disk and refrigerate at least 2 hours or overnight. You will want dough to be firm.
- You will now need to prepare filling. In medium size bowl, combine walnuts, apricots, brown sugar, 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon. Mix well.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Grease parchment paper with butter.
- Remove 1 dough disk from refrigerator (keep others refrigerated). On lightly floured surface, with floured rolling pin, roll 1 disk of dough into a 9 inch round, like you’re making a pizza. Spread 2 tablespoons jam over dough. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup walnut mixture. Gently pressing to make sure nuts adhere to dough. With sharp knife or pastry wheel cut dough into 12 equal wedges, like you’re cutting a pizza. Starting at curved edge, roll up each wedge. Place point side down, 1/2 inch apart, on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining dough, one disk at a time.
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- In small-size bowl stir together remaining sugar and cinnamon. With pastry brush, brush rugelach with milk. Evenly sprinkle cinnamon sugar mixture on top.
- Place in oven and bake 35 minutes until golden. Rotate baking sheets between upper and lower oven racks halfway through baking. Remember that each oven heats differently. Remove from oven and immediately transfer to wire cooling racks. Cool completely.
- Makes About 48 Rugelach
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen