Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Bay Leaf, Beef Stock, Carrots, Dijon Mustard, Flour, Guinness, Guinness Stew, Irish Cooking, Irish Stew, Kosher Salt, Lamb, Lamb Stew, Lamb Stock, March 17, Mustard, Olive Oil, Onions, Parsley, Pepper, Potatoes, Rosemary, Salt, St. Patrick’s Day, Stews, Thyme, Tomato Paste, Turnips, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
The best lamb stew this side of Dublin!
- 8 Teaspoons Olive Oil (Divided)
- 2 Cups Chopped Onions
- 1 Tablespoon Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 3 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 2 1/2 Pounds Boneless Leg Of Lamb (Trimmed & Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 3/4 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper (Divided)
- 2 Cups Guinness
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 3 Cups Beef Or Lamb Stock
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 2 Cups Diced & Peeled Yukon Gold Potatoes
- 2 Cups Diced Carrots
- 1 Cup Diced & Peeled Turnips
- 1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Heat Dutch oven over a medium-high heat. Add 2 teaspoons olive oil and swirl to coat. Add onions, thyme, and rosemary. Sauté 5 minutes. Stir occasionally. Transfer mixture to large-size bowl and set aside. Place flour in shallow dish. Sprinkle lamb evenly with 1/2-teaspoon kosher salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Dredge lamb in flour. Shake off excess flour. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil to Dutch oven and turn heat to a medium-high. Swirl to coat. Add half of lamb to pan. Sauté 6 minutes. Turn to brown on all sides. Add browned lamb to onion mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining lamb and remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil Add Guinness to pan. Bring to a boil. Using wooden spoon to loosen browned bits from bottom. Cook 5 minutes until reduced to about 1 cup. Return onion mixture to lamb in pan. Stir in tomato paste and cook 30 seconds. Add broth and bay leaf. Bring to boil. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 75 minutes. Stir occasionally. Uncover and stir in potatoes, carrots, and turnips. Simmer, uncovered, for 90 minutes until lamb and vegetables are nice and tender. Stir in remaining kosher salt and pepper. Stir in Dijon mustard.
- Remove from heat and ladle stew into individual bowls. Sprinkle with parsley.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 185 Minutes Total Time: 215 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved