Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 4
This Iced Chai gives you a spicy cup with a hint of sweetness. It gets its bold flavor from a generous dose of cardamom and the fat in the milk helps extract a full range of spice flavor. Whole milk is preferred, but most dairy and plant-based milks will work.
- 32 Green Cardamom Pods
- 1 Teaspoon Black Peppercorns
- 3 Cups Whole Milk
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 2 Tablespoons Assam Tea
- 3 Tablespoons Plus 1 Teaspoon Sugar
- 3 1/2 Cups Ice
- Coarsely crush cardamom pods with a mortar and pestle, then partially grind seeds. Transfer to a plate. Grind peppercorns with mortar and pestle until about medium-coarse. Transfer to same plate.
- Rinse a medium-size pot with water as this helps keep the milk from scorching. Combine milk, cardamom pods and seeds, pepper, and ginger in pot and bring to a rolling boil over a medium heat. Scrape sides and bottom of pot occasionally with a heatproof rubber spatula. When foam starts to rise, cook 20 seconds, scraping spices from sides of pot. Some plant-based milks will not foam so simply cook 30 seconds from boiling. Reduce heat to low and allow foam to die down. Then increase heat to a medium-low and simmer, scraping bottom and sides of pot occasionally and adjusting heat as needed to keep foam from rising, about 2 minutes, until milk is light tan in color from spices.
- Stir in tea and simmer. Scrape pot occasionally and adjusting heat as needed, for about 4 minutes, until milk is deep tan and reduced by one third. Strain though fine-mesh sieve into a large measuring glass, pressing on solid with spatula. You should have about 2 cups of chai concentrate. Return chai to pot and simmer another minute to reduce further if needed. Add sugar and stir until dissolved.
- Place in large-size heatproof bowl with a spout or a large-size heatproof pitcher. Immediately pour hot chai over ice. Stir until ice is almost completely melted. Larger ice cubes may take a bit longer.
- Chai can be made 3 days ahead. Transfer to airtight container. Cover and chill.
- Serve in glasses filled with fresh ice.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 10 Minutes Total Time: 30 Minutes
- “Work With What You Got!”
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved