Where I come from we called this dish “New England Boiled Dinner.” Whatever you call it, it just wouldn’t be St. Patrick’s Day without it. This is a slow cooker recipe.
Pot O’ Gold Corned Beef & Cabbage
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 20 ratings
- 4 Pound Lean Raw Corned Beef Brisket
- 3 Tablespoons Pickling Spice
- 2 Small Celery Roots (Cut Into Wedges)
- 1 Pound Large Carrots (Cut Into 4 Inch Pieces)
- 1 1/4 Pounds Large Fingerling Potatoes
- 1 Leek (White & Light Green Parts Only – Cut Into 3 Inch Pieces)
- 5 Cups Hot Water
- 1/2 Head Green Cabbage (Cut Into Wedges)
- 1/3 Cup Horseradish (Drained)
- 1/3 Cup Sour Cream
- Start by placing corned beef in bottom of show cooker. Sprinkle with pickling spice. Add celery roots, carrots, potatoes, and leek. Add 5 cups hot water. Make sure beef is covered by at least 1 inch water. Cover and set temperature on high. Cook 7 to 8 hours.
- Ladle corned beef and vegetables into Dutch oven and keep warm, reserving cooking liquid. Pour two cups of cooking liquid into microwavable dish with the cabbage. Cover and place in microwave on high for 8 to 10 minutes.
- To make sauce, combine horseradish and sour cream in small-size bowl. Set aside. Pour 1 cup cooking liquid into skillet and bring to boil. Continue boiling until liquid is reduced by half, and then mix into horseradish and sour cream.
- Slice and serve corned beef, accompanied by vegetables, cabbage, and sauce.
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 8 Hours 30 Minutes Total Time: 9 Hours
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2016 All Rights Reserved