Yields or Serves: 4
As the weather transitions I like to make heartier dishes and this risotto recipe is one that I like to make often. My basil plant is on its way out and I really need to use it before it is too late. A drizzle of basil oil provides a distinctive finish to many dishes, but especially this risotto.
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Basil
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 5 Cups Chicken Or Vegetable Broth
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1 Cup Thinly Sliced Leek (White And Green Parts)
- 1 1/2 Cups Arborio or Carnaroli Rice
- 1 Cup Peas
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Chives
- In a food processor or blender add chopped basil and olive oil. Process until thoroughly combined. Set aside.
- In a medium-size add broth and bring to a gentle simmer over a medium heat. Reduce heat to low and maintain a simmer.
- In large-size heavy saucepan over a medium heat melt butter. Add leeks and stir to coat. Cover and reduce heat to a medium-low. Cook 5 minutes and cook until translucent. Turn heat to a medium and add rice. Cook about 3 minutes. Add the simmering broth one ladle at a time. Stir frequently after each addition. Wait until broth is almost completely absorbed, but the rice is never dry on top, before adding the next ladleful. After 10 minutes stir in the peas. After about 20 minutes, the rice should be tender to the bite and creamy. If you need more liquid use hot water. Season with kosher salt and pepper.
- Remove from heat and stir in chives and 2 tablespoons of the basil oil. Divide among 4 bowls and drizzle with more basil oil.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 40 Minutes Total Time: 60 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved