Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 2 Average: 5/5]
Simnel cake is a traditional English fruitcake eaten during the Easter season and has been eaten since medieval times. The cake is both a rich, sweet treat and a symbolic ritual. The fruit cake is topped with eleven marzipan balls to represent the eleven apostles of Christ, minus Judas.
- 1 Cup Butter (Softened)
- 1 Cup Light Brown Sugar
- 4 Eggs
- 1 3/4 Cups Self-Rising Flour
- 1 1/3 Cups Golden Raisins
- 1 Cup Dried Currants
- 2/3 Cup Candied Cherries (Rinsed, Dried & Quartered)
- 1/4 Cup Candied Mixed Fruit Peel (Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Lemon Zest
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cloves
- 1/4 Teaspoon Ground Nutmeg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cinnamon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Allspice
- 2 Tablespoons Apricot Jam
- 1 Pound Almond Paste
- 1 Large Egg (Beaten)
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Grease and flour 8-inch springform pan. Line bottom and sides with greased parchment paper. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl add butter and brown sugar. Beat until nice and fluffy. Add 4 eggs, beat in one at a time. Mix in flour. Stir in raisins, currants, candied cherries, mixed fruit, lemon zest, and spices. Pour half of the batter into prepared springform pan.
- Divide almond paste into 3 equal portions. Roll out one portion into an 8-inch circle. Place that circle on the cake batter in the pan. Add remaining cake batter.
- Place in oven 2 1/2 hours until evenly browned and firm to the touch. If cake is browning too quickly cover with aluminum foil after about an hour of baking. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes. Turn cake out onto wire rack and let cool completely.
- Turn oven to broil setting.
- Warm the apricot jam in microwave or stovetop. Brush cooled cake with warmed jam.
- Roll out a portion of almond paste into 8-inch circle and place on top of cake. With remaining almond paste portion divide into 11 pieces and roll into balls. These represent the 11 Apostles (excluding Judas). Brush almond paste on top of cake with beaten egg. Arrange 11 balls around outside edge on top of cake and brush them with beaten egg.
- Place cake under broiler 8 to 10 minutes until almond paste is golden brown.
- Remove and let cool.
- Makes 1 Cake
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 150 Minutes (2 1/2 Hours) Total Time: 350 Minutes (3 Hours 20 Mins)
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved