These delicious Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies are a great treat for any day, but especially Father’s Day. Crisp rhubarb has a tart flavor that teams up perfectly with sweet strawberries.
Strawberry Rhubarb Hand Pies
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- 12 Dozen
- (5 /5)
- 14 ratings
- 3/4 Cup Finely Diced Strawberries
- 3/4 Cup Finely Diced Rhubarb
- 1 Tablespoon Cornstarch Or Potato Starch
- 8 Tablespoons Sugar (Divided)
- 3 Teaspoons Orange Zest (Divided)
- 2 1/4 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Cup Cold Butter
- 1/4 Cup Chilled Shortening
- 3 Tablespoons Ice Cold Water
- 3 Tablespoons Orange Juice
- 1 Egg Yolk Beaten
- 1 Tablespoons Whipping Cream
- Sugar (For Finishing)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line 2 large-size baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl combine strawberries, rhubarb, cornstarch, 4 Tablespoons sugar, and 1 1/2 teaspoons orange zest.
- In large-size bowl combine flour, kosher salt, and remaining sugar. Cut in cold butter and chilled shortening with pastry blender or two forks until mixture looks like small peas. Add remaining orange zest. Drizzle with ice cold water and orange juice. Mix until mixture is crumbly and dry. Knead mixture a bit and shape dough into disk. Divide dough in half.
- Roll half of dough to 1/8 inch thickness on heavily floured surface. Make sure to cover remaining dough with plastic wrap so that it doesn’t dry out. Cut into 2 inch rounds or squares. Reroll scraps. Place half of dough rounds or squares on prepared baking sheets. Top with 1 rounded teaspoon strawberry mixture. Dampen edges of dough with water. Top with remaining dough rounds or squares. Press edges to sea. Crimp edges with fork and cut slit in top of each for steam to escape. Repeat with remaining dough and strawberry mixture.
- In small-size bowl stir together egg yolk and whipping cream. Brush pies with egg mixture. Sprinkle with sugar. Place pies in freezer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from freezer. Place in oven 20 to 25 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from oven and let cool 10 minutes before removing from baking sheet.
- Transfer to serving plate and serve warm.
- Makes About 2 Dozen
- Prep Time: 55 Minutes Cook Time: 25 Minutes Total Time: 80 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved