Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
This is a great recipe if you want your turkey to turn out golden brown. The white meat will also come out super juicy. Say goodbye to a dry turkey!
- 1 Whole Fresh Turkey (14 to 16 Pounds)
- 1 Cup Butter (Cubed)
- 1 Cup Olive Oil
- 2 1/2 Cups Tangerine Juice
- Unbleached Flour
- For The Gravy
- Turkey Giblets
- 3 Cups Chicken Or Turkey Broth
- 6 Tablespoons Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Remove giblets from turkey and place, covered, in refrigerator until ready to use.
- Pat turkey dry and place breast side up on rack in roasting pan.
- In large-size saucepan, melt cubed butter. Stir in olive oil. Take a large-size piece of cheesecloth and saturate it in flour. Soak cheesecloth in butter and olive oil mixture. Drape soaked cheesecloth over turkey.
- Add tangerine juice to remaining butter mixture.
- Place turkey in oven, with cheesecloth still on, and roast for 3 hours. Baste with tangerine juice mixture every half hour. Keep cheesecloth moist at all times.
- Open oven and remove cheesecloth and throw away. Roast another 1 hour longer or until meat thermometer reads 180 degrees. Baste occasionally with pan drippings. Cover with foil if turkey browns too fast.
- Remove turkey from oven and transfer to serving platter. Cover with foil and let stand for 20 minutes before carving.
- Pour drippings and loosened brown bits into measuring cup. Skim off fat. Add enough broth to measure 4 cups. Reserve skimmed fat as you’ll need it to sauté giblets.
- For gravy, chop reserved giblets. In a large-size saucepan, sauté giblets in reserved fat until browned. Stir in flour and pepper until blended. Gradually stir in broth mixture. Bring to boil, cook and stir for 3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with turkey.
- Serves 14
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen