Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Satisfy everyone at your table by serving a healthier version of a family favorite. For healthier meals, stock up on staples, such as cans or cartons of no-salt added lentils, beans, broth, and tomatoes.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1 Large Bell Pepper (Chopped)
- 1 Large Carrot (Chopped)
- 6 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Small Potato (Peeled & Diced)
- 8 Cups Vegetable Broth
- 4 Teaspoons Chili Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 2 1/4 Cups Dry Brown Lentils
- 30 Ounces Diced Tomatoes (No-Salt-Added)
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Cilantro (Chopped) – Optional
- In large-size pot add olive oil and turn heat to medium-high.
- Add onions, peppers, carrots, and potatoes. Cook for 8 minutes until onions are tender. Add garlic and chili powder. Cook for 1 more minute. Stir constantly.
- Add lentils, tomatoes, and vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then turn down to a medium-low and simmer, partially covered, for 30 minutes until lentils are almost tender.
- Uncover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Stir in cilantro (optional) and serve.
- Serves 4
- “Work With What You Got”
- © Victoria Hart Glavin