Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Anchovies, Anchovy Paste, Bacon, Bay Leaves, Beef, Beef Stew, Broth, Carrots, Chicken Broth, Comfort Food, Dinner, Fall, Flour, Garlic, Green Beans, Oil, Olive Oil, Onions, Roast, Slow Cooker, Stews, Thyme, Tomato Paste, Tomatoes, Umami, Victoria Hart Glavin, Victoria’s Slow Cooker Beef Stew, Wine, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
Rich and robust, the secret to this full-bodied stew is anchovy paste, which gives it that hard-to-define umami. No one will ever know that it’s in there and they’ll just rave about the flavor.
- 3 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Anchovy Paste
- 1 Tablespoon Tomato Paste
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 3 Pounds Boneless Chuck Roast (Cut Into 1-Inch Cubes)
- 4 Pieces Thick Bacon (Diced)
- 2 Large Onions (Chopped)
- 4 Carrots (Peeled & Cut Into 1-Inch Pieces)
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/2 Cup Red Wine
- 1 Cup Chicken Broth
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1/2 Teaspoon Dried Thyme
- 2 Cups Green Beans
- In small-size bowl combine garlic, anchovy paste, and tomato paste. Set aside.
- In large-size Dutch oven heat olive oil over a medium-high heat. Working in batches add meat and brown for 5 minutes. Turn meat and brown other side. Remove from pot and repeat with rest of meat. Set aside.
- Fry diced bacon in Dutch oven until crispy.
- Add onions and carrots, stirring to loosen any browned bits. Add garlic mixture and stir until well combined. Return meat to pot.
- Add in flour and stir to coat meat and vegetables. Cook 2 minutes until dry.
- Stir in wine, chicken broth, bay leaves, and thyme. Bring to a boil.
- Transfer mixture into slow cooker and cover. Cook on low for 9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in green beans and cook another 40 minutes, uncovered, on high heat.
- Ladle into bowls and serve.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2015 All Rights Reserved