Yields or Serves:
The holiday weekend is upon us and it’s time to make pies. Pies are perfect for barbeque parties, picnics or just about any occasion. Sometimes I think pies have too much crust so here is a topless version that I’m sure your family and friends will love. I mean seriously who doesn’t love blueberry pie!
- For Glaze:
- 2 Ounces Seedless Raspberry Jam
- For Filling:
- 4 Cups Blueberries (Divided)
- 1/2 Cup Plus 2 1/2 Tablespoons Water (Divided)
- 2 1/2 Tablespoons Cornstarch
- 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice
- 2 Teaspoons Lemon Zest
- 1 Teaspoon Vanilla
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- For Crust:
- 1 Prebaked Pie Shell
- First you will need to make the glaze. In a small-size saucepan add raspberry jam. Cook over a low heat until it bubbles. Brush bottom and sides of cooled pie shell with glaze and let cool.
- Now make the filling. Place 1 cup of blueberries and 1/2 cup water in medium-size saucepan. Bring to a boil over a medium heat. Gently boil for 4 minutes and then remove from heat. Add cornstarch to remaining 2 1/2 tablespoons water and whisk well to dissolve. Add cornstarch mixture, sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest, vanilla, cinnamon, and kosher salt to cooked blueberries. Bring to a boil over a low heat. Stir for 1 minute until blueberries resemble jam.
- Transfer cooked blueberry mixture to medium-size bowl and add remaining blueberries. Add filling to prebaked pie shell and let cool for at least 3 hours. This pie is best served the day it is made. Place in covered container and refrigerate if you have any leftover for next day.
- Serve with vanilla ice cream. Makes 1 pie. Serves 8
- © Victoria Hart Glavin