Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Tags: Avocados, Beets, Chives, Cream Sauce, Czech Recipes, Dijon Mustard, Fennel, Greenwich Free Press, Herring, Herring Salad, Herring Salad In Cream Sauce, Horseradish, Lemon Juice, Lemons, Mustard, Onions, Pepper, Pickled Beets, Pickled Herring, Salads, Seafood, Sour Cream, Victoria Hart Glavin, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
Growing up Czech, pickled herring was a big part of our diet. My mother even used to eat it right out of the jar. My Herring Salad in Cream Sauce is an excellent little dish that’s perfect for all seasons.
- 6 Pickled Herring Fillets (Chopped)
- 1/2 Medium Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 1/4 Fennel Bulb (Finely Chopped)
- 1 1/2 Cups Sour Cream
- 2 Tablespoons Dijon Mustard
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chives (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Tablespoons Prepared Horseradish
- 1 Tablespoon Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 2 Cups Pickled Beets (Diced)
- 1 Cup Avocados (Diced)
- 4 Dill Springs For Garnish (Optional)
- In medium-size bowl mix together herring, onions, fennel, sour cream, Dijon mustard, chives, horseradish, lemon juice, and pepper. You may add salt if you want to, but quite frankly the herring is pretty salty on its own.
- Transfer to a large-size container with lid and place in refrigerator for at least 12 hours. You can store the mixture in fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- When ready to serve remove from fridge. Get 4 dessert type glasses and distribute beets in bottom of each glass. Next distribute diced avocado on top of beets. Top with herring in cream sauce on top of avocado. Garnish with dill sprigs.
- Serve immediately.
- Serves 4
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen