Quinoa Stuffed Winter Squash
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 5 ratings
- 4 Small Winter Squash
- 3 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion (Chopped)
- 1/2 Cup Chopped Mushrooms
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper (Divided)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Cup Quinoa
- 2 Teaspoons Chopped Fresh Thyme
- 2 Cups Water
- Place large-size rimmed baking sheet in oven and heat to 425 degrees.
- From squash, cut 1/2 inch from each pointy end, then halve even through its center. This will help them stand straight. Spoon out and throw away seeds. Rub squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil and season with 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper. Arrange on baking sheet and roast, hollow side down 25 to 30 minutes until tender.
- While squash is baking heat remaining olive oil in 4 quart saucepan on a medium heat. Add onions and remaining kosher salt and pepper. Cook, covered, stirring often 7 minutes. Stir in garlic. Cook 2 more minutes. Add quinoa and toss to coat. Add thyme and 2 cups water. Simmer, covered, 10 minutes. Stir in mushrooms and cook, covered, 5 more minutes.
- Remove squash from oven and transfer to platter, hollow sides up. Spoon quinoa mixture into squash halves.
- Serve warm.
- Serves 4 to 8
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 30 Minutes Total Time: 50 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved