Whole milk yogurt keeps this dish creamy. Make sure to use whole milk yogurt and not low-fat yogurt.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 2 ratings
- 3 Cups Water
- 2 Teaspoons Kosher Salt (Divided)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Saffron Threads (Crushed)
- 1 1/2 Cups Uncooked Basmati Rice
- 1 Medium Cinnamon Stick
- 1 Pound Boneless Skinless Chicken Thighs (Cut Into Pieces)
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Chopped Onion
- 2 Teaspoons Indian Curry Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Minced Fresh Ginger
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cardamom
- 1/8 Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 2 Serrano Chiles (Seeded & Minced)
- 1 Cup Plain Whole Milk Yogurt
- 1/2 Cup Golden Raisins
- 1/2 Cup Toasted Cashews
- In medium-size pot bring water, 1 teaspoon kosher salt, and saffron to a boil. Add rice and cinnamon stick. Cover and reduce heat. Simmer 20 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Throw away cinnamon stick.
- Heat olive oil in large-size non-stick skillet over a medium-high heat. Add chicken and sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt. Sautee 5 minutes until lightly browned. Remove from pan and transfer to plate. Cover with foil to keep warm.
- Add onion and remaining kosher salt to skillet. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook 10 minutes until lightly browned. Add curry powder, ginger, cardamom, cayenne, garlic, and serrano chiles. Cook 3 minutes. Stir frequently. Whisk in yogurt and cook 3 minutes until slightly thick. Stir constantly. Add chicken and raisins. Cook 4 minutes until thoroughly heated. Add rice. Combine well. Sprinkle with toasted cashews.
- Serve immediately
- Serves 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 45 Minutes Total Time: 65 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved