Yields or Serves:
Rating:[Total: 0 Average: 0/5]
I grew up eating my Czech mother’s homemade Goulash, which was always delicious. With the weather turning a bit cooler Goulash is a perfect fall dinner dish.
- 2 Large Chopped Onions
- 1 Cup Celery (Chopped)
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 2 Pounds Pork (Cubed)
- 2 Pounds Beef (Cubed)
- 1 Tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1 Tablespoon Paprika
- 1 Tablespoon Flour
- 1/2 Cup Catsup
- 3 Peppercorns
- 1 Bay Leaf
- In a large-size heavy pot add butter and heat over a medium heat. Add onions and celery and sauté for 10 minutes. Add beef cubes and pork cubes and sauté for 2 minutes. Add enough water to cover meat and vegetables. Turn heat to medium-low and cook for 50 minutes.
- Add kosher salt, red pepper flakes, paprika, and freshly ground pepper. Stir well. Add catsup, peppercorns, and bay leaf. Cook for 5 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine flour with cold water. Mix well. Add to goulash to thicken. Cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove and throw way bay leaf.
- Ladle into bowls and serve with crusty bread.
- Serves 4
- “Work With What You Got”
- © Victoria Hart Glavin