Yields or Serves: Makes 2 Twelve Inch Pizzas
Making your own pizza dough is so much better than using store bought dough. This is my all-time favorite pizza dough that makes enough for two 12-inch pizzas. You can freeze half of the dough for later if you like. I’ve even used this dough to make homemade cinnamon rolls.
- 1 1/3 Cups Warm Water (100 to 110 Degrees)
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Instant Yeast
- 1 Tablespoon Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour Plus More For Surface & Hands
- Cornmeal For Dusting Pan
- In large-size bowl whisk warm water, yeast, and sugar. Make sure that the water is warm (100 to 110 degrees) and not hot. You don’t want to kill the yeast. Cover with kitchen towel for 5 minutes. Add olive oil, kosher salt and flour. Beat until well combined. Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface. With floured hands knead dough 3 to 4 minutes. The dough should still feel a bit soft. Poke with your finger and if it slowly bounces back your dough is ready to rise.
- Lightly grease large-size bowl with olive oil. Place dough in bowl and turn it to coat all sides in the oil. Cover bowl with kitchen towel and allow dough to rise at room temperature for 60 to 90 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees. Allow your oven to heat up for 20 minutes as you shape the pizza. You’ll want your oven to be nice and hot. Lightly grease baking sheet or pizza pan with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with cornmeal. The cornmeal will give the crust extra flavor and crunch.
- When dough is ready punch it down to release any air bubbles. Divide the dough in half. If you’re not making two pizzas then freeze half of the dough for another time. Lightly flour a flat work surface. With floured hands gently flatten dough into a disc. Place on prepared pan and stretch and flatten into a 12-inch circle. Lift edge of dough up to create a lip around the edges. Pinch the edges up to create a rim.
- Cover dough lightly with kitchen towel and allow to rest for a few minutes as you prepare your pizza toppings.
- To prevent the toppings from making your pizza crust soggy, brush the top lightly with olive oil. Using your fingers, push dents into the surface of the dough to prevent bubbling. Top with your favorite sauce and toppings.
- Place in oven 12 to 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and slice hot pizza.
- Serve immediately.
- Makes 2 Twelve Inch Pizzas
- Prep Time: 135 Minutes Cook Time: 15 Minutes Total Time: 150 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved