I used to detest sweet potatoes! I mean really detest them. The mention of a sweet potato brought me right back to that Thanksgiving sweet potato marshmallow dish that I hated even as a kid. The good news is that I’ve grown to love them especially because they’re so healthy. This soup is both hearty and healthy, which is perfect for post-holiday healthy eating.
Sweet Potato & Leek Soup
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 24 ratings
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 2 Medium Leeks (Cleaned, White & Light Green Parts Thinly Sliced)
- 5 Tablespoons Tomato Paste (I Like To Use The Stuff In The Tube)
- 3 Tablespoons Creamy Nut Butter (Peanut, Cashew Or Almond)
- 2 Garlic Cloves (Minced)
- 1 Teaspoon Ground Turmeric
- 1/2 Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- 1 1/2 Cups Water
- 3 1/2 Cups Low-Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 Medium Sweet Potatoes (Peeled & Sliced 1/4 Inch Thick)
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme For Garnish (Optional)
- In large-size Dutch oven heat olive oil over a medium-high heat. Add leeks and sauté 6 minutes. Stir in tomato paste, nut butter, garlic, turmeric, and cumin. Cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add sweet potatoes, vegetable broth, and water. Simmer over a medium-low heat, partially covered 25 minutes until sweet potatoes are tender.
- Blend with immersion blender or regular blender. Add a bit more water if soup seems too thick. Bring soup to a simmer.
- Transfer to soup bowls, garnish with fresh thyme, and serve nice and warm.
- Serves 4 To 6
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes Total Time: 65 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen © 2017 All Rights Reserved