Nothing says comfort when cold weather arrives like a good soup. This hearty chicken soup will warm you up in no time.
Chicken & Barley Stew
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 3 ratings
- 5 Tablespoons Grapeseed Or Canola Oil (Divided)
- 3/4 Pound Chicken (Cut Into 1 Inch Pieces)
- 1 Large Onion (Diced)
- 4 Garlic Cloves (Thinly Sliced)
- 3 Celery Ribs (Diced)
- 1/2 Cup Diced Red Bell Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Peas
- 1/2 Cup Corn
- 2 Sprigs Fresh Thyme
- 32 Ounces Chicken Stock
- 32 Ounces Water
- 12 Ounces Heavy Cream
- 1 1/2 Cups Barley
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- To a large-size soup pot over a medium-high heat, add 3 tablespoons grapeseed oil. Add chicken, season with kosher salt and pepper, and sear for 5 minutes until golden brown on all sides. Remove chicken from pot. Add remaining oil. Add onions, carrots, garlic, celery, red bell pepper, and thyme. Sauté over a high heat for 5 to 10 minutes until vegetables are crisp tender. Return chicken to pan. Add chicken stock, water, cream, barley, peas, and corn. Simmer 45 minutes.
- Remove from heat and serve with crusty bread.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 80 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2018 All Rights Reserved