Prep Time: 90 minutes
Cook Time: 210 minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves: 14
Rating:[Total: 1 Average: 5/5]
Because many people are having to stay home this holiday season they find themselves cooking their own holiday dinner. Lately, I’ve been asked questions on how to cook a turkey. While there are a number of variations on how to prepare your holiday turkey there’s something wonderful about cooking it the classic way.
- 1 Fresh Turkey (16 To 18 Pounds)
- Olive Oil
- Kosher Salt
- Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/2 Cup Unsalted Butter (Melted & Cooled)
- Remove the neck and giblets from turkey.
- Rinse turkey inside and out with cold water. Pat dry with paper towels. Drizzle turkey with olive oil. Spread olive oil all over to coat the skin. Sprinkle generously with kosher salt and pepper. Tuck wings behind the back. Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in large-size roasting pan. Truss legs with kitchen twine. Let stand at room temperature for 1 hour.
- Move oven rack to lower third part of oven.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place turkey in oven 30 minutes. Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees. Roast 2 to 3 hours more until skin is golden brown. Brush turkey with melted butter and any juices that have accumulated in pan every 30 minutes. If you have an instant-read thermometer insert it into the thickest part of the breast (away from the bone) and it should register 165 degrees. Insert it into the thigh and it should register 175 degrees.
- Remove from oven and transfer turkey to a carving board. Cover loosely with foil and let rest 20 to 30 minutes before carving.
- Serves 12 to 14
- Prep Time: 90 Minutes Cook Time: 210 Minutes Total Time: 300 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2020 All Rights Reserved