Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
I confess that I’m partial to Dr. Pepper soda and when I heard about using it in baking it made perfect sense to me. This cake is a tasty morning cake snake cake, or after dinner dessert cake.
- 1/2 Cup Shortening
- 1 1/4 Cup Sugar
- 1 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar (Divided)
- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 1/2 Cups Unbleached Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup Dr. Pepper Soda
- 3 Cups Apples (Peeled, Cored & Chopped)
- 3/4 Cup Pecans (Finely Chopped)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In large-size bowl add shortening. With mixer, on medium, cream shortening. Slowly add sugar and 1 cup brown sugar. Beat until well creamed.
- Add eggs, one at a time, until mixed well. In medium-size bowl sift flour with baking powder, soda, and kosher salt.
- Add dry ingredients alternately with Dr. Pepper. Mix well after each addition.
- Fold in chopped apples.
- Pour batter into greased baking pan (13,9x9 inch pan).
- In small-size bowl combine 1/2 cup brown sugar and chopped pecans. Evenly sprinkle mixture over batter.
- Place in oven for 45 minutes until done. Remember that each oven heats differently.
- Remove from oven and cool for 20 minutes before cutting and serving.
- Serves 8
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin