Yields or Serves: 10
Eton mess is a traditional British dessert that’s wonderfully lazy. Anyone can make it and everyone loves it. You don’t have to be good at making pastries or baking. Your meringues can be overcooked or misshapen, but not matter because whipped cream and fresh seasonal strawberries will make up for everything.
- 3 Egg Whites (Room Temperature)
- 1/4 Cup Plus 1/2 Cup Sugar
- 1/8 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/8 Teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
- 5 1/4 Cups Hulled/Sliced Strawberries
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Lemon Juice
- 2 Cups Heavy Cream (Whipped)
- Mint Leaves For Garnish
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees.
- Line baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In medium-size bowl combine egg whites and 1/4 cup sugar. Set over (but not touching) simmering water in a saucepan. Heat, stirring, until sugar completely dissolves into the egg whites. Remove bowl from pan. Stir in kosher salt and cream of tartar.
- Transfer egg white mixture to large-size bowl and beat for about 5 minutes until stiff peaks form.
- Dollop large spoonfuls of meringue onto prepared baking sheet, spacing them evenly apart. Place in oven 1 hour. Turn off oven and let meringues cool completely in oven for at least 1 hour.
- In large-size bowl combine strawberries, 1/2 cup sugar, and lemon juice. Set aside to macerate for 1 hour.
- To assemble, break meringue into pieces. Layer whipped cream and strawberries into 10 individual glasses or bowls. Top with meringue pieces.
- Garnish with mint leaves and serve immediately.
- Serves 10
- Prep Time: 30 Minutes Cook Time: 60 Minutes Total Time: 90 Minutes
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2021 All Rights Reserved