It’s cold outside and I can’t think of a better thing to make than a delicious and hearty clam chowder.
- Prep Time
- Cook Time
- (5 /5)
- 1 rating
- 3 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter
- 1/4 Cup Diced Pancetta
- 1 Large Sweet Onion (Finely Chopped)
- 2 Stalks Celery (Finely Chopped)
- 1 Garlic Clove (Minced)
- 2 Sprigs Thyme
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/2 Teaspoon Freshly Ground Pepper
- 1/4 Cup Unbleached Flour
- 1/4 Cup Dry White Wine
- 1 Cup Water
- 2 Cups Clam Juice
- 1/4 Pound Yukon Gold Potatoes (Peeled & Cut Into Small Cubes)
- 1 Cup Whole Milk
- 1 Cup Heavy Cream
- 12 Ounces Chopped Clams (Raw Or Canned)
- Oyster Crackers For Serving
- In large-size pot combine butter, pancetta, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, kosher salt, and pepper. Cook over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until vegetables soften. Sprinkle with flour and cook 2 minutes, constantly stirring. Add wine and turn heat up to medium-high. Cook until wine evaporates. Pour in 1 cup water and clam juice. Add potatoes and bring to boil. Reduce heat and cook, uncovered, 15 minutes until potatoes are tender. Pour in milk and cream. Gently simmer 4 minutes. Make sure not to boil. Stir in clams and cook just until clams are warmed through. Cook through if clams are raw.
- Remove from heat and divide chowder among four soup bowls and serve with oyster crackers.
- Serves 4
- Prep Time: 20 Minutes Cook Time: 35 Minutes Total Time: 55 Minutes
- "Work With What You Got!"
- ©Tiny New York Kitchen © 2019 All Rights Reserved