Prep Time: minutes
Cook Time: minutes
Ready In: minutes
Yields or Serves:
Tags: Appetizers, Asian Cooking, Asian Food, Cabbage, Carrots, Cilantro, Fish Sauce, Fresh Spring Rolls, Greenwich Free Press, Mint, Napa Cabbage, Noodles, Rice Paper, Rice Vinegar, Seafood, Shrimp, Spring Rolls, Sugar, Vegan, Vegetarian, Vermicelli Noodles, Victoria Hart Glavin, Vinegar, www.tinynewyorkkitchen.com
Skip the take-out and make your own spring rolls. They’re easy and delicious. If you would like to make these spring rolls vegetarian then just omit the shrimp.
- Spring Rolls:
- 2 Ounces Dried Rice Vermicelli Noodles
- 24 Medium Shrimp (Peeled & Deveined)
- 2 Cups Shredded Napa Cabbage
- 1 Cup Shredded Carrots
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Cilantro Leaves
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Mint Leaves
- 24 Round Rice Paper Wrappers (8 1/2 Inch Diameter)
- 2 Tablespoons Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
- 1 Tablespoon Fish Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon Finely Shredded Carrots
- In medium-size saucepan cook vermicelli in lightly salted boiling water for 3 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water and drain well. Use kitchen shears to snip noodles into small pieces. Set aside.
- In large-size saucepan cook shrimp in lightly salted boiling water for 2 minutes until opaque color. Drain. Rinse with cold water. Drain again. Halve shrimp lengthwise. Set aside.
- In large-size bowl combine cooked vermicelli, napa cabbage, 1 cup shredded carrots, cilantro, and mint leaves. Set aside.
- Pour 1 cup warm water into shallow dish. Dip rice papers, one at a time, into water. Gently shake off excess water. Place wet rice papers between clean, damp, pure cotton kitchen towels. Let stand for 10 minutes. Brush any dry edges with a bit of additional water. Place well-rounded tablespoon of cabbage mixture across lower third of a softened rice paper. Make sure to keep the other rice papers covered. Fold bottom of rice paper over fillling. Arrange two shrimp halves across filling. Fold in rice paper sides. Tightly roll up rice paper and filling. Place, seam side down, on a large plate. Repeat with remaining rice paper filing and shrimp. Cover and chill for up to 6 hours.
- To make sauce: In small-size saucepan combine 1/2 cup water and sugar. Bring to boil over a medium heat. Stir occasionally until sugar is dissolved. Remove from heat. Stir in vinegar, fish sauce, and 1 tablespoon shredded carrots.
- Serve spring rolls with sauce.
- Makes 24 Rolls
- "Work With What You Got!"
- © Victoria Hart Glavin Tiny New York Kitchen All Rights Reserved